Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Drive Time Skywave

Old technology can be fun too. I have a weekly commute between Chicago and Ohio and this week I decided to run through the AM radio dial. I haven't done this in a long time as there usually isn't much worth listening to. Tonight a combination of favorable atmospheric conditions and the phenomenon of skywave, which I sort of remember from a physics class years ago, allowed me to pull in stations from all over the country on the factory radio in my Honda Civic. Here's a list of cities I managed to receive in my four hour drive:

Montreal
Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Rochester
Buffalo
Cleveland
Dayton
Cincinnati
Louisville
Nashville
Memphis
St. Louis
Des Moines
Cedar Rapids
Minneapolis
Winnipeg
San Antonio

The last two really surprised me. It was hard to believe that I could get a station from Boston and San Antonio at the same time. I lived in NYC and Philly each for a few years and it was vaguely disturbing hearing the traffic reports highways that I hated driving on. Chicago is bad enough. The whole experience reminded me of when my father bought my mother a shortwave radio sometime in the 1970s so she could listen to Spanish language radio from Latin America and Spain. I remember going through the sw bands and trying to guess where different broadcasts were coming from. Before the internet it was one way connect with distant corners of the globe. Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment