Tuesday, December 15, 2009

M-Audio Monitors

Audiophiles don't always have the highest opinion of M-Audio products. I am not a professional and they meet my needs perfectly. I have three M-Audio audio interfaces and one set of monitors, the Studiophile Dx4s. I only recently discovered the best aspect of the monitors--they can be repaired easily! I have a three-year-old son who took to poking the tweeter membrane on one of the monitors when I was out of the room. Needless to say this did not do wonders for the sound quality. A little searching on forums revealed a technical phone number. After little hold time, I spoke to a rep and ordered two replacement tweeters for $12.5o each plus shipping. This is ideally what you look for in any product you buy--you can buy parts for it and repair it. Yakima, a manufacturer of sport racks for cars, made a lifetime customer out of me about 10 years ago. I was given a set of Yakima towers, crossbars and bike mounts after a complete Thule rack was stolen off my car (while living in NYC, natch). The Yakima rack was missing certain parts--bolts, nuts, etc. I called up Yakima and told them what I had, what I thought was missing and they sent me all the needed parts--presto, new bike rack. So many modern products, especially electronics, are not repairable. When you find a product that is, it is a real pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment